Order 3 or more Savvy Feeders and get 15% off! No code needed.
Replacement Fabric Set
Replacement Fabric Set
Have a grate that is still in good shape, but the fabric is getting worn? No worries! Order a replacement fabric set!. Each set comes with four pieces of fabric and cooresponding hardware for both the feeder box and grate sides.
Replacing Fabric on a Savvy Feeder Grate
Items needed to replace the fabric
- screwdriver with #2 phillips tip
- 10mm or 3/8”socket wrench or plain wrench
- Soldering iron with point tip – or torch to heat up a phillips head screwdriver
- Loctite (red or blue)
- Paperclip or small wire
Included in the fabric replacement kit:
4) pieces of pre-cut fabric
16) 5/8 bolts to attach grate to the Savvy Feeder box
16) Lock washers
16) 3/8 bolts to attach the fabric to the Savvy Feeder grate
16) Flat washers
Read all instructions before starting – the bolt heads can strip and ruin the entire grate
Turn your Savvy Feeder upside down and remove the bottom plate
NOTE: Now is the perfect time to clean out your feeder - any household soap works and then rinse.
Use a #2 phillips head screwdriver to secure the bolt head on the inside of your feeder. Use a 10mm or a 3/8 socket wrench, or plain wrench, to loosen and remove each acorn nut on the outside of your feeder. Unscrew the bolts from the inside of the feeder
NOTE: Any spring washers that are embedded into the outside of the feeder are ok to leave.
- Remove and clean the grate and the poly bars so that they are free from any loose hay or dirt. Set the grate on a solid working surface
- Use a soldering iron with a point tip to heat up each bolt head attaching the fabric to the grate to loosen the Loctite. Only apply as much heat as needed and do not overheat to avoid damage to the fabric. Once the bolt head is heated enough to loosen the Loctite, use a screwdriver with a #2 Phillips tip to take out each bolt. Remove all 4 bolts and then take off the fabric.
- Ensure that each edge of the grate is smooth. If there is a slightly sharp edge, sand it down with sandpaper or the fine edge of a rasp, and then wipe clean.
Clean out each insert with the end of a paperclip or small wire. Cleaning out each insert is extremely important as the bolt will not tighten down if there is any debris in an insert. The bolts have to tighten completely to prevent the fabric from ripping.
- Put a tiny drop of Loctite in each insert on one side of the grate.
Put a new 3/8” bolt through 1 or 2 flat washers and then through the hole on the clipped side of the fabric, starting with either corner. Carefully screw each bolt into each insert. Tighten with a phillips #2 screwdriver until the washer is tight against the fabric. The bolt has to be tight to make sure that the fabric won’t rip away from the bolt. Repeat this step, until all the fabric pieces are attached to the grate.
- Place the grate inside the feeder (which should still be upside down) with the bolt heads attaching the fabric facing up through the bottom of the feeder box.
- Situate the fabric against the feeder side and place the bar on top of the fabric and then place a new bolt in each opening (through the bar, fabric, and then through the side of the feeder). Hold the bar with all 4 bolts in place with one hand and place a new lock washer and original acorn nut on each bolt which are on the outside of the feeder. Use your socket wrench (or plain wrench) with your phillips head #2 screwdriver holding the bolt head secure, to tighten each acorn nut. The bars must tighten against the feeder side to prevent the fabric from tearing. Do this on all 4 sides of the feeder.
Any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at www.Lenny@SavvyHorseProducts.com
We use Fed Ex delivery services. It typically takes 4-10 business days for your order to arrive.
We charge a flat rate $45 to ship one Savvy Feeder anywhere in the continental US.
All replacement parts ship free in the continental US.
Call us at 937-RU-SAVVY (937-787-2889) or email Lenny@SavvyHorseProducts.com for shipping quotes outside the continental US or to have your delivery held at your local Fed Ex location.